Cape Town summer salad
Recipe from: Be Food
This is a perfect salad for a 'braai' – the South African word for a barbecue. Did you know South Africa even has an official Braai Day? The country’s National Heritage Day, celebrated on 24 September, is also known as ‘National Braai Day’.
- Fry the smoked bacon until crispy, drain-off as much fat as possible and leave to cool.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in quarters.
- Cut the cucumber in quarters lengthwise, remove the seeds and slice the quarters crosswise into ‘moons’.
- Mix the farmer’s salad with the tomatoes, cucumber, chives, spring onions, white wine vinegar and 450 gram of the crispy bacon.
- Season to taste with black pepper.
- Pile the salad into a dish and garnish with the remaining bacon and chives.